Friday, January 12, 2007

Groucho Greg

My son Greg had braces fitted yesterday. He is a fairly confident lad but was not looking forward to getting them fitted
- I suppose from the point of view as to what the fairer sex might think. Imagine my surprise when asked by the Orthodontist what colour he wanted for the plastic fillers he replied "Pink!".
Joking with him afterwards I was telling him he'll need a disguise. He referred to the Groucho glasses that he pulled from a cracker over the festive period and so the seed was sown.
I had just received my "upgraded" wireless flash triggers from a certain Hong Kong retailer and was pleased to see they actually worked so decided to press them into action. I usually use a ST-E2 controller for off camera flash and an optical slave for the second strobe (my old 540EZ). On this occassion I set up my 550EX on a stand at half power into a silver brolly on camera right (you can see where in Greg's eyes) and the 540EZ set to 1/4 power on a tripod camera left with a sheet of A4 over it to soften slightly.

Exposure was set to 1/200th to darken background (which is just our living room) and aperature at F6.3 which was about half a stop under in the end. ISO at 100.

The end result was that Greg was happy with the shot (although not so happy that I had put it on tinternet!) and it marks a point in time in a young persons life that they will probably always remember - next to having them taken out!

No comments: