Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A fateful breakdown



Today we had a break in the rotten weather that has plagued us for the past month. It was forecast well so I took the day out and planned, once again, to try to get high above the cairngorms which I have wanted to do all winter. I failed again.

The wind from the South was slightly stronger than forecast so I climbed out from take off into wind and decided to get a bit of height to see if I could climb above it. About 20 minutes into the flight and still making south I felt a couple of shudders from my motor. The thought, "That's odd" had hardly been completed when the engine failed completely. Bugger. I tried a restart to no avail. I immediately turned around and started heading back to where I took off from and after just squeezing over a forest I made it.

After landing aquick inspection revealed my magneto had come completely loose and the bolts were missing. Bugger again.

I was only just packing up when a van arrived containing a certain Duncan Cameron whom I had never met. Over coffee he explained that he too was an aviation photographer (fancy that!) but took pictures from his model aircraft. At 70 years old this man looked like he had no intention of slowing down and his enthusiasm soon had me back at his house where I revelled in the many model boats, houses and planes which he built all with his own hands.

Duncan took pictures for fun and for money and had a number of pictures which I could only admire. We discussed our platforms (mine a paramotor and his various model aircraft) and found that we suffered much the same issues - which were mostly highland weather!

I eventually pulled myself away from Duncan but his parting shot, "We must fly together, and you take a picture of my models as I fly them past!" was ringing in my ears. I might just take him up on that!

7 comments:

picperfic said...

sounds like you'd get on well with Barry...he has built loads of remote control aeroplanes, all hanging up in his garage at his old place...I think i inherit them when we move back to his old house...eventually...but that's another story!!

Now this knitting thingy for your paramotor...what colour would you like?

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear yr OK :) Do you have a link to the model aircraft man's images?

Anonymous said...

70 years young...but forgot to get Gary`s email, anybody help ? Duncan the radio control model `plane guy. (Flying Cameras, Aviemore)

Anonymous said...

Mohain, got Gary`s email. He will post one of my shots from model plane. If you want to know more about the various systems check www.rcgroups.com forum under Aerial Photography. Very "American" but relevant. Most use compact cameras with auto everything, some have downlinks for viewing what the camera sees, most use "scatter-gun2 approach. Picperfic; I think you should knit something for Gary`s anatomy not his Parathingy ! It was a cold day yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Mohain; I`ve open a Flikr account with the name Arrow5, some samples coming on there in couple of days, Duncan.

Anonymous said...

great, i will check it out Arrow5.

Anonymous said...

Hey Folks
I've been around here for a while now, and I finally found something worth writing on: I found a NICE price on custom [url=http://www.milesgershon.com][b] LCD Entertainment Centers [/b][/url]. These guys have 24/7 telephone service & they installed AND delivered my custom [url=http://www.milesgershon.com][b] Modern Wall Unit [/b][/url]all for Free!!! I just bought from them, and I've never had a more seamless internet buy -they ACTUALLY called me to confirm the order and talk about delivery time… unreal!



Enjoy