Thursday, January 11, 2007

Family Fortunes

This is a picture of my father-in-law John taken on Hogmanay 2006 (New Years eve for you sassenachs :)). I have become a fan of off-camera flash and bought an infra-red controller earlier in the year to take pictures at the mountain bike events I attend with my son Greg. A family get together seemed a good time to bring it along and with the use of a brolley and stand I had some cheap and cheerful lighting.

I set the camera at 1/200th f8 and iso 160. Quite how I arrived at 160 I cannot remember but anyway I was trying to keep to max flash sync speed for all shots to remove backgrounds as I did not have any - more cheapskate tendancies!

The result is studio like although I should have used a reflector (magazine or such like) to soften the shadows slightly. In any case it was a reminder that with the addition of a brolley and stand (could use tripod in some circumstances) I have a studio wherever I go.

3 comments:

picperfic said...

HI Gary, your technique works well here, the subject looks nice and relaxed and I love the post processing, sort of mellow....the model looks like he likes you too! :^)

Unknown said...

I think this is a fabulous pic! I am happy you didn't remember a reflector because I think the shadows work great with the B&W processing. Great job in the PP too. All around top notch one he and you should be proud of.

Gary said...

Thanks guys. I used an action that Hacker recommended for the soft but high key look, it helped with the shadows.